Friday, May 29, 2015

Day 5 Barefooting to Samos


This is the first time in 10 group trips that I have led,that I didn't go to the Monastary in Samos. In fact I don't even have a pic of it as some of them are on my IPad, which I can't download to my phone right now. Trust me when I say it is incredibly beautiful though. 
We walked very quickly in the morning and I got to be barefoot most if the way. We arrived in the old town of Triacastella and ate lunch in a typical taberna. The entire group seems to like Ensalada Mixta. Salad with tuna, asparagus, hard boiled egg and corn niblets. 

We started walking again and spent a lot of time in the forest, or on dirt paths, so itcwas perfect for Barefooting. I had a sore toe, as I stubbed it, so I wrapped or with tape for the day. 
The terrain was so natural a couple of the pilgrims tried batefooting. Jan, who is 70 years old, was the first to take off hers and join in. I talked to her about the shift that takes place in the alignment of her entire body to make it more efficient. We talked about some is the benefits it has on her physical body and the freedom that is experienced

She said as she ages she becomes more fearful of falling. Going barefoot can help to strengthen the feet, ankles, legs and the core body to help overcome that fear. The feedback from the sensory nerve endings in the soles of your feet work quickly to message the brain/central nervous system to adapt to shifts in the terrain so the body stays upright. Jan felt that what I was saying made "common sence" and that made her want to do it!
The more we walked, the closer our group became. We travelled together most of the time or at least within site of each other, although we had agreed before leaving that everyone should walk their own Camino. There was no expectation that we had to stay together but the group wanted to. It was quite lovely. 

One of our pilgrims, Lynn, was having trouble with her one foot swelling up so much it was hard to walk. We agreed to keep a close watch on it to see if she should see a doctor or not. 
One thing I don't like about walking in the country, especially in Spain is the fact that the animals are herded back to the village at night and in the morning, so there is a lot of cow dung visible. I found myself taking my shoes odd and the. Pitting them back on again. :)

We arrived quite late in the day. It was great that we had a hotel room rather than an Albergue. The group went on the tour of the Monastary and then most of them went to Vespers. We had a late dinner and everyone was in bed by 10pm. 

That morning we had breakfast at the hotel (cafe cin leche, fresh squeezed orange juice, a buffet of eggs, bacon and sausages, and some sweets too. We left around 7:30 am knowing that we had our longest day ahead if us. 28 kilometers!!


My foot infection was clearing up thanks to Jan's oil of Oregano. Even still, I was a bit concerned as I seemed to favour that foot and that meant I wasn't walking evenly. A sure-fire way to develop an injury. 

By now several of the pilgrims had been shipping their backpacks and had decided to complete the journey that way. I still had mine and so did Katherine. She had set a goal to walk with it and that motivated her to keep it, though it was decided without any attachment to suffering. Once you've had a backpack on for a few days it becomes a part of you and she didn't want to give it up. 

We arrived tired and hungry. 

Sue 
@barebottomshoes
www.suekenney.ca
Next Camino walk with Sue is October 2015. Backpack service will be available to all. You just have to walk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment