Monday, May 11, 2015

Blogging Barefoot on the Camino




In a few days leave for Spain to guide a group of new Camino pilgrims on the way. We will be covering 225kms over 11 days with a group of 9 pilgrims. Each person has come to the group in a different way and after 5 conference calls together, we have bonded closely. The excitement, anticipation and sheer joy of spending time in nature on a medieval pilgrimage following the footsteps of millions gets my adrenaline  going. I love the thrill of living a simple life, carrying a backpack and just walking everyday. To be honest though, there is always a little fear thrown in, even as a seasoned pilgrim I never know what the Camino has in store for my group or for me.

My plan is to blog about the experiences, the people we meet, the trials and tribulations and maybe a bit about the thoughts that go through my mind as I walk the Camino for the 11th time. I will be barefoot, in minimalist shoes when needed and of course, I will wear my own design Barebottom Shoes. This adds another element of experience as the 7000 sensory nerve endings in the soles of my feet take in the terrain, temperature, and all the ground I step on. They send feedback to my central nervous system, via my brain, to commission my body to adapt to every situation. It's truly a visceral way to connect with the path and nature too.

My Offer: I'm walking the Camino for YOU!

The first time I walked the Camino (in boots) I learned that I could put my sorrow and the sorrow of others into a stone and set it down on the Camino. The story profoundly changed the way I deal with what happens in my life (and in the world) and became a ritual I perform everyday on the Camino as a way to let go of the things I cannot control. Here is a short video of the Sorrow Stone story produced by Bookshorts. My offer to you is to carry your personal intentions along the Camino. All you have to do is send me a message, a comment here, an email, or PM with an intention for yourself, a family member, a friend or for the world. It could be the intention of world peace, health, happiness...whatever calls to you. I promise to spend time on my journey walking with your personal intention, that I will put into a stone that I pick up along the way. Then, when the time feels right, I will set the stone down on the Camino path. With great honour, I will let the intention go out to the world, as if it is so. I am grateful for your request.

After I walked the Camino in the reverse direction in 2009, al contrario, it became absolulely clear to me that I no longer walk the Camino for myself, I walk for the WORLD, so please know that I am walking for YOU. 

Buen Camino! 

Sue 

www.suekenney.ca
Instagram @caminosue
Twitter @caminoperegrina
Facebook  Barebottom Shoes and My Camino


1 comment: